Other Links and Resources
The Web links below are provided for informational purposes only. Links outside of Ocean Explorer have been checked at the time of this page's publication, but the linking sites may become outdated or non-operational over time.
Wilkinson, C. R. 1992. Coral reefs of the world are facing widespread devastation: Can we prevent this through sustainable management practices? Proceedings of the 7th International Coral Reef Symposium, Guam. University of Guam Press, Mangilao, Guam.
- Ocean Explorer photograph gallery
- NOAA’s Coastal & Oceanic Plankton Ecology, Production & Observation Database (COPEPOD)
- ‘Drifting Downward,’ lesson plan from the Ocean Explorer 2002 Islands in the Stream Expedition
Madin, L. P. 1982. Production, composition and sedimentation of salp fecal pellets in oceanic waters. Marine Biology 67:39-45.
Caron, D. A.; Madin, L. P.; Cole, J. J. 1989. Composition and degradation of salp fecal pellets: Implications for vertical flux in oceanic environments. Journal of Marine Research. 47:829-850.
Madin, L.P., Kremer, P. and Hacker, S. 1996. Distribution and vertical migration of salps (Tunicata, Thaliacea) near Bermuda. Journal of Plankton Research 18:747-755.
- Plankton lesson plans from the University of California, Los Angeles Marine Science Center
- ‘A Guide to the Marine Plankton of Southern California’ by Robert Perry
- Plankton unit from UCLA’s Project Oceanography Science Standards with Integrative Marine Science (SSWIMS)
- Plankton identification activity from NASA’s ‘Visit to an Ocean Planet’ CD-ROM
- Image Quest 3-D Web site, featuring images of numerous marine organisms; all images are copyrighted, but are still great to look at
- ‘Buoyancy Basics’ Web site from NOVA
http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/viewArticle.do?id=13954 - Oceanus article on the potential role of salps in ocean carbon cycling
- home page for the Census of Marine Life
- 'How to Construct and Use a Dichotomous Key' by Stephen L. Timme, from Goldman, C. A. (ed). 1991. Tested studies for laboratory teaching.12:101-110. Proceedings of the 12th Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE), 218 pages.
For More Information
Contact Paula Keener-Chavis,
Director, Education Programs
NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration
Other lesson plans developed for this Web site are available in the Education Section.