Hydrothermal vent biogeographic provinces in the global ocean. Yellow indicates the East Pacific vents dominated by the tubeworm Riftia, mussels and clams. Red indicates the NE Pacific vents dominated by the tubeworm Ridgeia. Orange represents the vents of the western Pacific that may be dominated by stalked barnacles or snails. Lilac are the Atlantic vents and there is still a discussion whether the deep and shallow vents are the same biogeographic province. Blue represents the Indian Ocean vents at the Rodriguez Triple Junction.
Image courtesy of:
- Ridgeia (NorthEast Pacific Ocean): © Dr Verena Tunnicliffe University of Victoria. Reproduced according to non-commercial reproduction of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca ) Stalked barnacles (Indonesia/Western Pacific Ocean): NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research;
- Riftia (Eastern Pacific): NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
- Rimicaris (Atlantic Ocean) ©Paul Tyler;
- Rimicaris and Anemones (Indian Ocean) ©Copyright Tim Shank WHOI;
- MAP courtesy of Dr Tim Shank WHOI.