The Web links below are provided for informational purposes only. Links outside of Ocean Explorer have been checked at the time of this page's publication, but the linking sites may become outdated or non-operational over time.
- http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/edu/guide/gomdse_edguide.pdf – Educators’ Guide for the Gulf of Mexico Deep-Sea Ecosystems Education Materials Collection.
- http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/edufun/book/welcome.html#book - A free printable book for home and school use introduced in 2004 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of NOAA; nearly 200 pages of lessons focusing on the exploration, understanding, and protection of Earth as a whole system.
- http://www.gulfallianceeducation.org – Extensive list of publications and other resources from the Gulf of Mexico Alliance.
- Fisher, C., H. Roberts, E. Cordes, and B. Bernard. 2007. Cold seeps and associated communities of the Gulf of Mexico. Oceanography 20:118-129; available online at http://www.tos.org/oceanography
- CSA International, Inc. 2007. Characterization of northern Gulf of Mexico deepwater hard bottom communities with emphasis on Lophelia coral. U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Gulf of Mexico OCS Region, New Orleans, LA. OCS Study MMS 2007-044. 169 pp. + app.
- Sulak, K. J., M. T. Randall, K. E. Luke, A. D. Norem, and J. M. Miller (Eds.). 2008. Characterization of Northern Gulf of Mexico Deepwater Hard Bottom Communities with Emphasis on Lophelia Coral - Lophelia Reef Megafaunal Community Structure, Biotopes, Genetics, Microbial Ecology, and Geology. USGS Open-File Report 2008-1148; http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/coastaleco/
For More Information
Director, Education Programs
NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
Other lesson plans developed for this Web site are available in the Education Section.