Other Resources and Links
The Web links below are provided for informational purposes only. Links outside of the Ocean Explorer website have been checked at the time of this page's publication, but the linking sites may become outdated or non-operational over time.
Website for the Bermuda Deep Water Caves 2011: Dive of Discovery Expedition
A free printable book for home and school use introduced in 2004 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of NOAA; nearly 200 pages of lessons focusing on the exploration, understanding, and protection of Earth as a whole system.
- Koenemann, S. and T. M. Iliffe. 2009. The Atlantida 2008 Cave Diving Expedition. Mar Biodiv 39:153.
- Wilkens, H., T. M. Iliffe, P. Orom’, A. Mart’nez, T. N. Tysall, and S. Koenemann. 2009. The Corona lava tube, Lanzarote: geology, habitat diversity and biogeography. Mar Biodiv 39:155- 167.
- Gilbert, L.A., R. E. McDuff, and H. P. Johnson. 2007. Porosity of the upper edifice of Axial Seamount. Geology 35(1): 49-52.
- Gordon, R. L. 1996. Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler Principles of Operation - A Practical Primer. RD Instruments. San Diego, California; available online at
Website, Anchialine Caves and Cave Fauna of the World
Virtual Cave Web site
- Iliffe, T. M. 1986. The zonation model for the evolution of aquatic faunas in anchialine caves. Stygologia 2:2-9. Iliffe, T. M. and L. S. Kornicker. 2009. Worldwide diving discoveries of living fossil animals from the depths of anchialine and marine caves. Smithsonian Contributions to Marine Sciences 38:269-280; available online at http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/reprints/Reprint-195.pdf
For More Information
Director, Education Programs
NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research
Other lesson plans developed for this Web site are available in the Education Section.